Sherrif's Office Public-Outreach Team (SPORT)
SPORTS Information Packet
* Increase communication and build a relationship of trust and understanding between the Sheriff’s Office and the citizens of our community.
* Provide education and insight to citizens of the community concerning the job functions and duties of the sheriff’s office.
* Create a non-threatening setting for citizens to share their concerns with Sheriff’s Office employees.
* Fosters, over time, a growing pool of well-informed “graduates” who will share newly acquired knowledge and insight with others.
* Encourage program graduates to participate in community events.
The “Sheriff’s Public Out-Reach Team” is a volunteer program, where the “SPORT” Academy lasts for ten (10) weeks. The classes will be at least two (2) hours per session and with classes beginning at 6:00 (pm) and ending at 8:00 (pm) nightly. The location for each class will vary depending on the course material. The Academy coordinator will provide the location for each class session.
Be 18 years of age.
Be a Halifax County resident. Not have any prior felony convictions, or any combination of offenses or circumstances, that would otherwise disqualify the applicant of employment as a Halifax County Deputy Sheriff.
Be willing to commit to attending at least one 2 hour class per week for 10 weeks. Be able to handle graphic material
Must be able to follow instructions
The classes are scheduled in January and October. Applicants are asked to submit applications four (4) weeks in advance of the start of class.
Applications are available at the Halifax County Sheriff‘s Office.
If you are interested in attending and can commit to attend all 10 sessions, please fill out and print the SPORT Application and return it to Sheriff Wes Tripp, 355 Ferrell Lane, Halifax N.C. 27839